19 dec MICHAEL JACOBS TRAVEL CHRONICLE STIPENDIJA 2022
Deadline: 7 January 2022
Open to: journalists or writers of any nationality
Benefits: 7,500 dollars
In 2014, after the death of Michael Jacobs, the Gabo Foundation and the Hay Festival Cartagena de Indias, as part of an alliance of more than a decade, took the initiative to organize, as a tribute to the English writer, the Michael Jacobs Chronicle Grant traveler. The scholarship is funded by the Michael Jacobs Foundation for Travel Writing, a non-profit organization created by Michael’s widow and brother to honor his legacy and promote travel writing in Spain and Latin America.
The scholarship, which reaches its eighth edition with the purpose of encouraging travel reports, will award $ 7,500 for a book project or travel article on Latin America or Spain, to be published in Spanish or English.
To choose the winner, the juries will take into account the narrative quality and the journalistic depth of the projects. For Michael Jacobs, travel journalism went beyond the simple anecdotal experience and for this reason works capable of awakening the five senses and that open the mind to any reader are sought.
The official announcement of the winner will be made at the Hay Festival Cartagena, which will take place from January 22 to 30, 2022, with virtual and face-to-face events.
- Journalists or writers of any nationality may apply, as long as their work addresses travel journalism in Latin America or Spain in Spanish or English.
- An autobiography of up to 800 words (in Spanish or English) describing your experience as a travel journalist and your motivation for applying for the scholarship. Resumes or conventional curricula will not be taken into account.
- A detailed presentation of the project (article or book) including: project description, work schedule, and planned travel itinerary. The article or book must be written in Spanish or English. The project does not necessarily have to be finished, since the grant seeks to strengthen an ongoing project, but they must send at least a fragment of the work, since the jury must evaluate the author’s narrative capacity.
- A text published by the author in a printed or digital medium. The candidate must have at least one article or book published at the time of submitting the application.
- The sum of 7,500 dollars as an incentive to finance the research and writing of your article or book. The amount includes the taxes to be paid by the beneficiary and the convening institutions. The scholarship will be awarded as follows: one-third ($ 2,500) when the winner is announced and two-thirds ($ 5,000) when the project is completed and delivered to the publisher for publication.
- The winner will be invited to participate as a jury in the next edition of the Michael Jacobs Scholarship for traveling chronicle.
- If the winner wishes, they will receive a courtesy from the Manolo el Sereno Association (MAELSE) in collaboration with the Inquietarte Foundation, both located in Frailes, with accommodation and stay in the town for a month, although it should be noted that the flights, food and personal expenses are not included.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information, visit the official website.